Night Reading Guide
Night Reading Guide
Be able to define the following characters, places, and terms:
- Elie Wiesel
- Bela Katz
- Madame Schachter
- Josef Mengele
- Moishe the Beadle
- Elieser’s father (Chlomo)
- Aushwitz (Birkenau, Buna, Aushwitz)
- Rosh Hashanah
- Yom Kippur
- Describe Moshe the Beadle
- Why did Eliezer pray, and why did he cry when he prayed?
- Upon his return, what story did Moshe tell?
- Why didn’t the people believe him?
- Cite examples of how the Jewish citizens of Sighet began to lose their rights
- What is a ghetto
- Why did the citizens resist the truth, even when it was in front of them?
- Describe the conditions in the train (at the end of the chapter).
- Explain, “Our eyes were opened, but too late.” Where was the train at this point?
- What was foreshadowed by Madame Schachter’s nightmare?
- What did some of the passengers do to quiet Madame Schachter?
- Where did the train finally stop?
- When questioned by the SS officer, why did Elie lie about his age and occupation/
- What was the first horrifying sight that Elie at first disbelieved?
- Explain what Elie meant when he said, “Never shall I forget these flames which consumed my faith forever.”
- How had Elie changed in a short time?
- What was Elie’s first impression of Auschwitz after leaving Birkenau?
- What was the “compulsory formality” at the entrance to all camps?
- What sort of identification was used on the prisoners?
- Why was the prisoner in charge of Elie’s block removed from this position?
- What were the prisoners’ rations at each meal?
- What was Bela Katz forced to do once he was chosen for his strength?
- What were the objectives of the medical examinations?
- Why were the Jewish musicians not allowed to play music by Beethoven?
- Describe one of Idek’s bouts of madness.
- How did Elie initially avoid losing his gold crown?
- Whom did Elie meet years later on the Paris Metro?
- What happened when Elie refused to give his crown to Franek? What was the end result?
- Describe the scene with the soup cauldrons.
- During one of the preliminary “ceremonies” for a hanging, what did Juliek whisper to Elie? What does this suggest?
- During one hanging, Elie and the other prisoners cried. What made this hanging different from others?
- Why didn’t Elie fast on Yom Kippur?
- What advice was Elie given to pass the selection process?
- How did Elie’s father respond when he learned his name had been written down?
- What did Akiba Drummer ask the others to do for him? Did they do it?
- Why was Elie placed in the hospital?
- Why was the camp to be evacuated? What did Elie learn of the fate of those who stayed behind in the hospital?
- What happened to anyone who could not keep up with the march?
- How did Zalman die?
- What horrible realization did Elie come to concerning Rabbi Eliahou and his son? How did Elie respond to this?
- What was Juliek’s last act?
- How did Elie help his father when the selection was made?
- How did Elie again help his father when they were on the train/
- Describe the scene Elie witnessed between the father and son.
- How many got out of the wagon? Where had they arrived?
- Explain how the father/son roles had been reversed in the case of Elie and his father?
- Why was Elie’s father being beaten?
- What did Elie think of the advice given to him by the head of the block?
- What happened on April 5th?
- What was the resistance movement? What did they do?
- What did the prisoners do when they were freed?
Last Modified on November 14, 2013